giantattack.forummate.com

GiantAttackDundee
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Dundee Bigger torney ideas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Ok guys now hypespotting is out of the way we can start to think about hosting a tourney in Dundee. By tourney i mean a two day event similar to HS but not on the same scale of being a international event. Hopefully we can attract the players from across Scotland and do with our local values in mind.

by that i mean
The place needs to have reasonably priced booze
Be close to the town center
Have games we play weekly inc the older games (cvs2, melty)

I'd like to get the ball rolling on this so we can get time off announce the event and start looking for a venue. Me and sean have been talking about this for a while and ive mentioned to luke about it in the past but id like to hear everyones thoughts.

Twitter - @zombiebriank
xbl - Zombie Brian

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:40 am 

General Agreement Level: 100%

Post subject: Re: Dundee Bigger torney ideas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:19 pm 

Funnily enough Sean and I had a few quick words about this and other things, I'll post something up after I go make some angry phone calls!

The one thing we both agreed on instantly is it has to be somewhere where the entry cost is low. Dundee's scene has a very high student density and as such disposable income isn't maybe what it is in other parts. As such ideally it should be hosted at a place where entry is at a minimum, or where it's on a deposit which isn't too high that we need to be charging a lot to recoup the initial payment, or at best somewhere which will let us use them for free! ( If such a place exists ).

In this case, whilst we have contacts in the student unions, I think it would be very worthwhile examining the potential of being able to host our own events in one of these studenty type establishments, Unions I think they're called....., if they would allow GA to host one outwith other endorsed events like WASD or DeeCon.

I'm saying this as a bit of a pipe dream. I used to run GIG at Abertay so I know that Unions can generally be a bit difficult with their own in house stuff without even getting to external events, but as far as locations with low financial barriers, reasonably priced consumables, good amounts of space and ready to be used for events like this; they're pretty much ideal.

Like I said, I'll post some more in a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Tbh i dont mind and im sure one or too others wouldnt mind fronting up some cash to see it happen. The union at Dundee would be ideal but imo it has to be two days

Twitter - @zombiebriank
xbl - Zombie Brian