giantattack.forummate.com

GiantAttackDundee
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Dee-Con
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:06 am 

10 Days till Dee-Con - what's the plan games-wise?

SFxT was mooted previously, with 2v2 being the most hype mode available, reinforced by the recent EVO announcement. Shall we go with no-gems as well? Would be by far the easiest setup and I don't think just now that they're making much of a difference.

Should try to confirm stations first, see what we have to work with, might even be able to run a 2nd tournament (if it's Soul Calibur V I will love you long time).

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dee-Con
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:42 pm 

KOF13 would prob make the most sense what with having anime style graphics and all

also gems are more trouble than there worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 pm 

I'm all for no gems 2v2 - given that there might be some people entering who are there for the convention and aren't all that familiar with THE BUSINESS OF THE BUSINESS, gems might only be a hassle anyway (moreso than they already are #bearfights)

I'm cool to bring my 360, PS2 and selection of shite no-one but me likes as per usual. USB hub and Strekken, obviously. Just need screens for them

[spoiler]Also a VF5 tournament is the only way to go[/spoiler]

PSN/GFWL/XBL: tehmarcerer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:44 pm 

What you do is look at Evo's announcement;

say FUCK DA POLICE

and do 1 vs 1 tournament anyway.

Gems can go die though.

As far as side tournaments go, wait until we see how many stations are available. This is going to be different to most GATK events in that a large percentage of the potential entrants aren't here for just the tourney, they'll be here for the convo, there will be some stupid shit dressed up playing really shit internet meme based chiptunes really fucking loud. There's a lot of stuff that could cause issue. Be accommodating to people, but if peeps aren't there in their 5 minute shout, give them the boot, that's where last year really went wrong. Sort out Strekken first ( or whatever the main tourney is ) then go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 pm 

That's 1 vote each for SCV, KOF XIII and VF5 so far...

I agree with Ken in seeing how many stations (and how much time) we have before picking side tournaments, also there should be some kind of token paid entry to discourage dobbers signing up and wandering off never to return.

I'm sure when you say 5 minutes Ken you mean 3 shouts, or 30 seconds.

Could also consider capping the total number of entrants, rather than getting as many names as possible - keep it to a nice power of 2 for ease of managing brackets I would suggest, or have total groups of a power of 2.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:52 pm 

So long as the length of time allowed is communicated before hand it could be a 2 second shout.

Also agreed on the token entry, make it £2 or a pound, something low/token but nonetheless something that represents a tangible interest in the tournament from people. A cap would be a decent idea, though tbh if you're asking for an entry of any sorts you will probably weed out a lot of the no shows that plagued last years' event. I would try and keep it under 64 for definite, 32 or under if you're thinking double elim.

And just for the record, if there are thoughts of any side events KOF obviously gets my vote. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

+1 vote for sthdr

Imma bring a setup and strekken

Twitter - @zombiebriank
xbl - Zombie Brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

also kof13 takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggesss :?

Twitter - @zombiebriank
xbl - Zombie Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:48 pm 

Only when people don't know to play it, like those scrubs Ryan Hart and Giga D. Honestly, I throw a tournament to give some people a shot at the limelight and look how it turns out.

Might take long but it's a damn sight more fun to watch than the the stream of time outs we're going to see next week. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 pm 

SFxT either 1v1 or 2v2, no gems. Gems add too much needless confusion and add significantly to the pre-match setup time.

Agreed on the entry fee. We had WAY too many randoms sign up and never appear last year, though that was partly due to people signing up because they were convinced to when they really didn't mind that much. A fee would either discourage the random signups or convince them to show up for their matches.

Regarding prizes, I'm meant to be (/hoping to) talk to the Dee-Con guys and see if they're offering up any prizes - though given how little the guys running this year have spoken to me about it I doubt it. If we're doing buy-in that would cover the prize fund anyway.

I'll be bringing my PC monitor and speakers down, so that's another setup but the only fighters I've got are SF2THD:R, MvC2, UMvC3, 3rd Strike (the Xbox version, not Online Edition) and TvC. Not sure if that's an issue or not.

I want to get a floor plan in place before next week/Monday at the absolute latest as I'll be there from 10am helping set up the event and I still need to confirm with the guys running it what we're needing and where things are going in The Liar.